Thread: Dual Tanks
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #11
TKCR

Re: Dual Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
In my experience, most old tanks I pull that still have gas in them were still good on the inside. If it were me, I would start by pulling the old gas out, and I'd make a determination from that.

I'd get a small 12v fuel pump (I've seen them under $20 on amazon), but make sure you put a fuel filter inline BEFORE the pump. I like the large, clear ones with a paper element, so I can see any garbage in there. I also like to use LONG wire leads to power my pump, reduce the risk of arcing causing a fire by moving my power source far away. A cheap roll of speaker wire works great, 18 gauge is probably plenty big enough.

If the fuel filter is clean after you pull all the gas, I'd maybe just fill it and try it. You might even find a way to keep the fuel filter inline there, as an added measure of security and inspection later on.

If the fuel filter is dirty and clogged, you definitely need to pull the tank, and now it's easier because it's empty!
Thanks for the advise, I was trying to determine a way go pumping the gas out of the tanks.

Is there a screen or anything that would keep the hose from reaching the tank?

I did try and use a hand pump, that I have on my gas can for the lawn mower. It makes filling the lawnmower easier than lifting a 5 gallon can when it's full. It could have been because the hose was too big once it reached the tank entrance. I didn't want to force.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote