View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
paulspickupparts

Re: 1952 GMC "Demon Speeding" Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Yeah, I see that weird cut, not sure what that's about. But C10's are about an 1 1/2" wider than the frame on the AD's and require spacers in order to make it fit flush against the frame rails, or narrow the cross member. I don't see any spacers in the pic's so I suspect the cross member's been narrowed. That's what I did to mine.
I believe what has happened is someone used a 71 Chevy and up pickup crossmember which need to have the crossmember narrorwed or spacers on the outside of the stock frame . In this case it appears someone cut the stock front crossmember and pushed the frame rails out to meet it. Thus the gap in the stock front cross member. In theory its not a bad idea if it had been done correctly . I had a customer that did the same thing. However I do not feel this one was done correctly . If you look the wheels are not centered in the opening of the fender. If they just started pulling on the frame to move it out it may or may not be square which can lead to other problems. The wheel track is wider on the 71 and up trucks but also appears you have a deep dish on your front rim. With less dish and a smaller tire it may line up perfectly as far as track width. Also appears they did not quite get the rear lined up in the wheel opening. Your frame appears to be stock by looking at the crossmember and the original spring perch. Before you move ahead you may want to take it to an alignment shop to see where you are at . Kind of like trying to build a square house on a non square foundation. Nothing will fit and it will fight you all the way. Good luck..
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote