View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #12
Rust-O-Matic

Re: Help finding heater core that fits '66 deluxe heater (w/ AC)

Alright fellas, I just hit Classic Parts in Riverside on my lunch break. I brought the top of the enclosure from my truck with me to check fit. The salesman brought out another copper core to check the fit, and it had the same problem as the first one, and wouldn't fit into the slots on the enclosure top. He went back and talked to their parts manager, who told them they have had several complaints about "OER", the brand that makes those.

He then brought out the cheaper aluminum version, which fit like a glove. The part number is Spectra 94691. It's lighter, feels cheaper, and is certainly not my first choice, but it fits like a champ, so that's what I'm gonna go with for now. They've been using aluminum to make radiators for decades now, so they can't be that bad. At this point, anything that doesn't leak is better than what I had.

I googled the Spectra's part number while he was gathering some other items for me, and found the same part way cheaper online. When I mentioned it, he agreed to price match, and I was out the door for a little less than half of what I originally paid them for the copper core.

I'll let you guys know if I have any trouble actually installing the new unit, but as far as I can tell it should slip right in. Also came with it's own new bracket to support the tubes.

Last edited by Rust-O-Matic; 09-11-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote