View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #17
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Brake lights . Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by englands 71 View Post
If you jump the white wire to the other side of the steering column connector to the white wire there, you can check the dark green and yellow wires for 12 volts when you press the brake pedal.

☝️

Vette not sure I understand what you mean. You mean jumping the white wire with the turn signal switch still connected ? Splicing into the yellow and green on the switch side .
This is a check to see if the brake wires are getting power through the turn signal switch. I'll be a little more detailed.

First off make sure you have 12 volts on the wire wire coming from the brake switch when you press the brake pedal.

Disconnect the steering column connector plug.
Jump from the white wire that has power to the white wire that goes to the turn signal switch.

press the brake pedal.

Check the yellow and dark green wires in the steering column plug for 12 volts when you press the brake pedal.

Alternate check.

I think you have done this already but if not.

Jump the white wire with 12 volts on it from the brake switch to the yellow and dark green wires in the steering column that goes up into the firewall to the rear lights. Press the brake pedal and you should get the left or right brake light depending on which wire you have the white wire connected to.

This covers the complete brake light circuit, so one or the other tests is going to fail.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote