View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #34
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Starting the overall replacement of front suspension today :-) drop time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaStewySnipes View Post
You can feel the etching if not seeing it, might feel like 400 grit sand paper. Means you have to much acid and getting to metal after being soaked for to long. I dont think having a stronger acid bath isnt bad as long as you do not leave it in long and bust out the elbow grease when it has done its job quickly. That's why ive used a bit of that krud kutter with vinegar and water instead of simply phosphoric acid and water for converter baths. it works great and doesnt etch metal unless you leave it for a week after rust is gone. I dont know what is all in it besides a bit phosphoric acid but I add a bit to how I need it in my mix and it gets the job done better and safely, much quicker than water and vinegar alone.

Yea your are deffintly converting any remaining rust in the first picture. Keep it up it is looking good, I did same thing with a light wire brush on my parts. After a bit of the brush and few soaks you see the remaining surface rust wipe off and black left in any tiny rust pits, that is when it is done. Just as extra precaution when I see even less rust left on my parts I add water to weaken it and slow the process down because I know there is less rust from when I started, and more exposed metal. I believe that keeps you from eating into metal even better if it has been a problem. I have heared of some stuff called metal rescue does same thing and even safer, I haven't tried it my self, nor will i pay $50 for 2 gallons of the stuff. I think your doing great.
Thanks Papa. I understand now, and think I've seen deep etching on a few parts. They were bad to begin with, ended up "salty" and pitted. They're at the dump.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote