View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #344
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
Extremely cool truck,this would be something I would love to own if money and space were no object.
I've found that if I just spend a little at a time I don't feel the hit on the pocketbook nearly as hard. Unfortunately the bottom line at the end of the year is just as shocking. At times I wish I had really kept track of what I spent and others I'm glad that I didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 View Post
Tbh im just watching this thread as a how to for mine!!!!!! and because this is a cool build
Thanks for sticking in there deer hunter. Hunting season is rapidly approaching, are you ready???

When we last visited I was closing in on getting this up to date. Hopefully I can get the rest of it documented tonight.

I was ready to put the bed on but I wanted a gooseneck hitch. I started planning on how to fabricate one when my friend suggested that I use a B&W hitch. My first thoughts were “I seriously doubt they make a hitch for an 89 C60” and “way too expensive”. I shared those thoughts with my buddy and he hooked me up with a used one for 200 dollars off a newer Ford. The modern HD ¾ ton trucks have a wider frame so it needed to be narrowed by around 1¾”. Because of how the hitch is built I was able to unbolt the very heavy duty angle iron from the front and back, cut a bit out of the middle of each, weld it back in and drill new holes. I spent a few hours but got it done to my satisfaction (and I’m pretty darned picky!) Surprisingly enough when I measured out the holes and drilled them in the reconfigured angle iron they all lined up, that never used to happen… Here are some photos (note in the last picture I had already notched the spacer that raises the bed high enough to line up with the cab, it is made of 3x5 box tubing. Also you can see how the frame reinforcing plate kept me from sliding the whole hitch any farther forward. This unfortunately has the ball just an inch or so in front of the rear axle and means that I don't get to flip the ball upside down for fear of it hitting the diff if heavily loaded. However with the bed spacer it doesn't need to flip so that doesn't make any difference. My bigger concern is the inability to place the load farther forward but honestly this truck should be able to take anything I throw at it without problem. If I don't like it once I try it then I'll redo it later.

Name:  AAA.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  44.6 KBName:  AAC.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  36.6 KB
Name:  AAD.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  42.4 KBName:  AAE.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  49.3 KB
Name:  AAF.jpg
Views: 721