View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
dsraven

Re: How should I fill firewall holes

if you need a hand to hold the plug, and you have a few extra minutes to spare for fabbing up a quick tool, you can make a magnetic plug holder from a C clamp. just get a cheap steel C clamp and cut the very bottom off, like the bottom of the C part, so you have a vertical portion left there plus the top part of the C with the screw down part still intact. now drill up into the vertical section and run some threads into it. find a round magnet that sticks well and has a hole in the middle and is also smaller in diameter than the distance over to the threaded part of the C clamp. some dollar stores will have everything you need, the clamp and the magnet. the magnets sometimes are sold with a hook on them that is bolted on through a hole in the middle, perfect. toss the hook in the junk bin. bolt the magnet onto the bottom of the C clamp so it will hold the clamp vertical. now you can magnet the clamp onto the back side of the firewall and then screw the threaded part down so it sits level with the sheet metal and holds the plug in place. the clamp comes in handy for other stuff too.

or just use a magnet to hold the plug but then the magnetics will deform the mig welder and cause spatter. of you are torch welding then it won't matter, haha.

I think I spend more time making tools than I do working on the truck. dough head alert.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote