View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 01:36 AM   #14
bennylava

Re: Starter just keeps going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Charge the battery completely (or buy a new one) and your problem will stop. The low voltage of the battery is causing higher current draw and welding your solenoid contacts.

Good luck, Rg
I have been having battery issues and slow starts prior to this. I just got the battery though, and I don't drive the truck all the time. So I was thinking that maybe my battery might not actually be dying. And that it had just gotten low. I guess from now on I will leave a battery tender on there. Just to be safe. I'll also get the alternator checked, I can't remember if I've ever had it checked or rebuilt. Had the truck for 8 years, been fixing it up ever since I got it. This maybe this is all because of a dying alternator. No telling the condition of that alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Chances are the excessive cranking welded the solenoid contacts if anything. I'd reconnect the battery and see if it starts cranking again. Measure the battery voltage with the engine off and running. That will give an idea of whether its charging.
That is the weird thing. Sometimes after you disconnect the battery, you can come back a while later, and the starter will behave normally. The truck will just start up. Then if you drive somewhere and kill the engine, the problem will come back. Just cranking and cranking with the key out, and having to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Well... this was before all that smoke poured out and the engine stopped trying to turn over, and the starter just made a high pitched whine. My guess is that all that will happen now, is just more of that high pitched whine. Which probably points the the dead solenoid, right? With a starter motor that is still perfectly good.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote