View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
sircrunch

Lighting in the shop

I have a 36x20 shop with unfinished walls inside. 9 foot ceiling. It was built about 15 years ago. At the time, I put (14) 8 foot twin fluorescent fixtures in there. I have been extremely unhappy with them.

For one, the bulbs are constantly dying out.

For two, the ballasts are constantly dying out.

For three, the original ballasts were magnetic style, ballasts are not magnetic anymore, to put a new ballast in, it costs at least 25 bucks and you have to wire the fixture differently.

And last but not least, I have had on TWO separate occasions, the bulb fall out of the sky onto the garage floor (once on my truck) and shatter. Looking at the fixture, the plastic part that springs in and out burned up and that's why the lightbulb fell. This led me to climbing up to each fixture and zip-tying the bulb to the fixture loosely.

So at this point, LITERALLY half of the bulbs in my garage are working, for whatever reason, broken fixture, bulb blown out, ballast not working, etc etc.

A few months ago I invested in LED bulbs for INSIDE MY HOUSE, but I'm thinking about investing further in LED, by purchasing enough LED fixtures to light the way.

One site helps me calculate how many lumens I need for my space. About 40000.

That means about 9 or 10 of these.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Watt-Line...d%2Blight&th=1

these fixtures are half the length of my 8 foot twin flourescents, will almost never need changing, will be more energy efficient, and will never need a ballast replacement. Seems almost maintenance free.

Cost will be over 500.00

Talk me into it. or talk me out of it.
sircrunch is offline   Reply With Quote