View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
mr48chev

Re: Q-A1 coil over shock on G body clip

Reading that about three times I think Kevin just has overheated springs about the same as my 51 Merc had when bought it in 1963. The old quick and nasty to lower a coil spring rig. Heat them red hot and set it down on the shop floor an hope it settles down just where you want it. Both of my front springs were broken when I subframed it in the early 80's along with the stock crossmember being cracked in several places and almost every front end part being worn out.

If it was me I'd go one step at a time even if it takes tearing the front suspension apart again a couple of times. The following suggestions are just different ways you could go about accomplishing what you want to. Some cost more and some cost less, all take about the same amount of work.
If you like the idea of the tube A arms and coil overs get the A arms and the coil overs and do the swap, put it back together with the stock spindles and run it around the block and park in the driveway and stand back and see how it looks. Then decide if you can fine tune it by adjusting the ride height with the coil overs or need dropped spindles.

One other option is proper lowering coil springs that give the ride height you have now with a better ride.

Third option is stock springs and the dropped spindles. or a combo of lowering springs and dropped spindles.

A bit of snooping around might find a factory G body spring for some model that was lower from the factory than other models. That would give you a lower starting point to use with dropped spindles and still have a full spring action.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote