View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
e015475

Re: bear claw latch install pictures please

This is a picture of the smaller Autoloc bear claw installed in a '49 door.

Here's the pin on the frame side.

The challenge is to get around the window channel to make the outside door handle operate the bearclaw on the other side of the glass.

To do this, I took a outside door handle and welded an arm to it - it took a little trial and error to get the arm length just right so it'd fit through the hole in the door.

From the arm, I ran a rod downward to a bell crank that sits just below the window glass. From the other side of the bell crank I ran another rod up to the bearclaw.

I fabricated some simple clevises and used hardware store all-thread rod to make sure it worked before I painted the door, but for the final configuration I'll use 10-32 rod ends and solid rods for the actuation mechanism. I'll probably end up putting a return spring somewhere too.

For the inside, I just modified the stock actuator arm to fit the bearclaw.

The issue with the small bearclaw is the lock. For the door without an outside lock, I'll probably end up using a solenoid to lock and unlock it. I'll likely put a solenoid on the lock door too, actuated with either a key or a fob.

This approach probably sounds pretty Rube-Goldbergish to you by now, but if you're interested I'll take some more photos as the prototype mechanism is sitting on the bench
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote