View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
e015475

Re: Body work advice needed

What you have there looks pretty much par for the course based on my limited experience. As MARTINSR says most of the deformation is locked up in the weld.

The next time you weld a patch in you might think about planishing the weld while it is still hot and alternate between welding and planishing till you've got it welded up. It seems like it is a lot easier to weld and planish if you're welding with gas instead of MIG. The MIG wire seems like it a lot harder too.

I've never been able to get the low spot out after welding by just planishing the weld and I usually have to stretch the metal a little past the heat affected zone too, then work up the low spot with a 'hammer -off'.

I find if I use a slapping spoon and a dolly, I don't have to have quite so much precision hitting the dolly and its a little easier than using a hammer and leaves the surface smoother during the stretching. I spray a light coat of flat black on the area I'm stretching so you can see everywhere you've hit with the spoon - just 'connect the dots' to get a nice even stretch.

Follow a round of stretching with a spoon and a dolly on the heat affected zone with some 'hammer off' hammer and dolly work to bring the metal up to contour.

It usually takes me a couple rounds of planishing, stretching and hammer-off dolly work to sneak up on the weld depression so very little filler is needed.

But there's always bondo when you're tired of screwing with it.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote