View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #25
Gromit

Re: Ammeter a ticking time bomb?

Great post and very helpful responses and discussion - I'd been worried about this issue too - a couple years ago someone at American Autowire made the passing comment that the updated C10 harness kits modify the ammeter and require a later type voltmeter.. Since I wanted to stay with the Original Equipment style I still chose their "Factory Fit" product but I always remembered the comment and noticed they went to all the trouble to substitute the voltmeter in their updated kit. And face it is a pain to get the different gauge and install it and change the wiring diagram.

Quote:

"I don't recall many problems with them unless the terminals were shorted to ground which could easily cause a fire or a burnt harness."

I'd like to add that while refurbishing my gauge panel I did notice it would be awfully easy to short the terminal studs on the metal backing plate. Because it is a fine line between the 8-12 inch pounds called for as max torque on the terminals - (so risk of overtightening) verses the risk of not tightening them enough - and if they are too loose then the gauge itself can twist just a few degrees and allow or cause the posts to contact the grounded metal backing plate and short out.

I don't have a good photo to show how close the terminals are to the holes in the backing plate but I have the instructions to repro parts that point out the danger of the terminal studs not being lined up properly and a photo of the terminals (although with the trouble spot covered by the washers and nuts - so not much help but hey it gets us in the neighborhood)..

Though I think what I have learned from this thread is so long as everything is installed correctly even if those ammeter gauge posts short out it should only blow one or both of the two small fuses up in front near the grill.
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote