View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #22
Zeroman

Re: Issues with restored trucks

Our truck "Leroy" was not "an original" when he was purchased as my son's first vehicle 19 years ago. Far from it.

That being said, when it came came time for a makeover, I knew I wanted to take it down to the frame. Not only to make sure it was a solid build, but also to improve the truck with modern technology.

I get the "keep it original" if the truck was purchased with not a thing changed, but who would not want improve upon the engineering of the 60s and 70s.

I have done everything myself except for the metalwork, body work, and paint with the advice of many people including many from this board. Without their help Leroy would not be what he is today.

3 1/2 years of blood, sweat, tears, and money, and I am very pleased with the results.

Still not done...they never really are, are they?

The improvements include modern suspension..tubular front control arms, drop springs/shocks front and rear, front and rear sway bars, rear shock relocators, adjustable panhard bar, added power steering. All of these improvements have made Leroy safer and easier to drive.

In the braking system...front disc brakes, added brake booster, performance pads and shoes. Again, safer and easier to drive.

In the engine/transmission department I stayed "old school" with a 350/350TH set up as this was the power train we transplanted into Leroy 17 years ago as a stock 258hp crate motor and rebuilt transmission. We did opt for the HEI distributor back then because it is so simple to deal with. With an Edlebrock 600cfm electric choke sitting on top, Leroy cranks and runs every time.

Of course, we moved the gas tank to the rear, and routed the filler tube to the left rear side marker. Leroy is a short step side, so it was fairly simple.

In the electrical department a Painless Wiring harness was installed 17 years ago and still provides fantastic reliability and safety. We did this after seeing a 67-72 burning up on the side of the freeway one day.....not a pretty sight. I also used Weather Pack connectors on all of the lighting connections for ease of installation and removal.

Upgraded LED side markers/turn signals, and upgraded headlights, again are brighter and safer. The side markers operate as turn signals just like modern vehicles. Again, added safety.

I did opt for the one piece windows..a change that most do not care for, but I like the fact that the lack of wing windows reduces the chances of someone breaking in.

I have implemented improvements during Leroy's build that I believe enhance drive-ability and safety while not going overboard on cosmetic changes.

In regards to "issues" regarding older vehicles, there have always been problems with new vehicles even in the 60s and 70s. Manufacturing processes and quality control were nowhere near modern day levels. Vehicles were not perfect then, and some are not perfect now. As was pointed out they are mechanical in nature and there will be mechanical failures.

In the end just remember your truck is "your truck". Do what you want, and what you can afford.

Last edited by Zeroman; 11-12-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote