View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #13
King951

Re: Should I be worried with these temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Handy View Post
On the other hand I don't believe in the coolant running through the rad too fast theory either. We are working with heat transfer. Heat travels to cold, it does not care how fast the coolant is moving in a closed system. if the rad cant give off the heat as fast as the engine is making it, you will overheat. If the coolant running to fast through the rad made a difference your rad would be cool when your engine was overheating.
But it's not about the coolant running too fast itself causing the issue, it's that the coolant is running too fast to get cooled efficiently enough because it isn't spending hardly any time at all in the radiator. My old truck (67 F100 4x4) had a big block Ford 352 FE that on my drive home I had to pull over a few time because the temperature would start going out of control up to 250 and puke coolant, I would pull over and wait and go again until I made it home. Come to find out the thing had no thermostat in it. New coolant and a thermostat and it never had an issue again.

Go on Google and you can search multiple threads on multiple sites where people complain about removing there thermostat in whatever season and now there car overheats and they can't understand why. Same concept applies to what I am talking about. Why would an engine overheat with no thermostat but be fine with one? A thermostat doesn't just get the engine up to operating temperature it keeps it there by having a combination of holding water back / keeping water in. In the situation I was in earlier today I may as well had no thermostat at all as it would have put me in the same place. Or I may as well had a 180 thermostat as it also would have done the same thing. Once you reach the point where the water coming in is exceeding the temperature of the thermostat that's where the problem begins. That's why I believe my issue had nothing to do with a 195 and a 180 would have done nothing to help. I believe the issue lies somewhere else.

I think getting an overflow, a new fan shroud, set up my vacuum advance and adjust my timing and I will test again from there.
King951 is offline   Reply With Quote