View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #219
Desert1957

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
every time i fill one up from slap empty it needs a temp spike to get rid of any air pockets. if you notice bubbles coming from the tube on the rad, you might have air in the system.

the way to get rid of air in a cooling system when you have an expansion tank and a two way rad cap is to put some 50/50 in the expansion tank, warm the engine to operating temp, then shut it off and wait. the air will be forced out while running and then the radiator will reverse pressure as it cools back down (not running) and will draw coolant from the tank. if you dont have a tank hooked up, it will just draw air back in and you will need to start all over.

otherwise, make sure the thermostat is opening. feel the upper and lower hoses, if one is hot and the other is cold and the engine is warmed up, the thermostat may not be opening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
I like the idea of the burping on the rad. I always just left the cap off and let them burp, usually works. but..... my last build when I hooked the heater up, I had the craziest air pocket I could get gone for the life of me. The day I sold the truck I was able to get it out! as for timing, def invest in a light. but a good rule of thumb is if it starts up good and shuts down good when hot, you are in the ball park. as for trans, I think they take 11or 12 qt. be an easy find on the net.
Both good tips...

Sorry about this late response, another old timer trick is to drill 1/8 hole in the flange of the thermostat. This helps circulate coolant through out the system before the thermostat opens. Less air pockets.