View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #39
jimmythompson1964

Re: Built not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
To be very honest, if I had the money I would have no problem paying someone else to build me a truck to my specifications. I don't have the money therefor I do what I can and scrimp and save to have someone to do what I can't.

I started out like a few others on here that learned to turn wrenches buy keeping whatever I happened to have at the moment just to keep it on the road. Next month, at the young age of 53, I'll be going to a community college to learn welding and fabrication. My good Uncle Sam will be footing the bill for school and I'll learn everything I can while I'm there. This learning will be for myself at home and not to get a job. I figure it will save me money doing it myself, though I've already warned the wife I'll be spending more money on tools. Of course, she thinks I've got too many as it is.

Yes, I'd rather do things myself so I know it'll be done right but I wonder how nice it would be to drop of a vehicle at a shop and tell them, "Frame off resto with this, that and everything else on this list."
Good for you! I say do what makes you happy...not everyone is a sick pup like me...I would rather work in my garage or on my truck that eat when I'm hungry. Learn all you can, try it once if you hate some part of it then pay some one to do that part and work on the stuff that makes you smile. Everyone is different so do it YOUR way
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote