View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 12:48 AM   #11
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: Electric fan conversion

Aftermarket fans dont pull current (and to an extent CFM) like OEM fans do. Factory style HO fans had really outpaced the pancake design motors of pretty much all aftermarket fans and I believe the hardcore enthusiasts tried using different fan controllers from everybody and from my experience Flexalite rated the worst and DC Controls among the highest-everybody else fell somewhere in-between. Recently Dakota Digital has a newer version out whichbis supposed to be pretty stout. I just dont care for PWM controllers anymore-the Spal unit is good-if used with any non factory fan or fan assembly-it wont handle anything serious but not everybody needs a monster fan assembly-if you have 10 years out of that Spal unit you're doing good! Spal is only 20 minutes away drom me and I've dealt with a couple of their engineers in the past and they flat out told me their controllers arent designed for factory high output fans. I had them test a brand new Motorcraft Mark VIII fan back in about 2002/03 or so and Mark K. at Spal told me that fan was the most powerful they'd ever seen at the time-and no way would they have or design a controller to reliably control it. For reference, that fan motor was designed by Siemens VDO for Ford and it needed to be stout enough to run for 24 hours a day for 10 years as explained to me from a salesman @ Siemens group who worked on the project-versions of that motor would find its way into Crown Vic cruisers so it needed to be way over stout. That fan in my squarebody in the summer on low speed would drop my engine temp from 205 to 180 in 15-18 seconds-I could watch my temp gauge drop faster than my fuel gauge with the Q-jet secondaries wide open!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote