View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #2258
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
CRLS is looking good Vic! Keep it up, you'll get it done in no time (or it will seem like it to you, once you've finished it). That's how it feels for me now... the wife reminds me that is not the case... She told me this past weekend it's been "2 years since you last drove it." I had to remind her it was only 17 months.
Thanks, Duane! We plan to attend the LMC Truck show in Fort Worth the first of May, so I have a solid deadline now. We passed the five year mark this month, but who's counting, right?

The wiring job is slowly winding down. I modified the console slightly and test fit it over all the bundles of snakes this morning and it looks like it will clear everything. I still have a few questions on the GMPP harness that came with the powertrain. The info is out there, I'm sure, but it's tough to find. Most build threads are geared toward modifying OEM harnesses but my GMPP unit has a few undocumented features.

There are three pigtails shown in the attached photo.

One has four wires labeled A-BRK LIGHT, B-CAL A/B, C-CANCEL O/D and D-DYNO. I don't think I need any of these for my setup.

Another has a VEH SPD label on it and has a purple/white wire and a green/black wire. According to the internet, the purple is VSS high and the green is VSS low. Pretty sure they feed into the Classic Instruments SN74Z interface box and provide the pulses for the speedometer.

The third pigtail has three loose wires for engine oil pressure, speed out and RPM. I figure the oil pressure feed won't play nice with the Classic Instruments gauge, so I installed their sender instead and will truncate the GMPP wire. The speed out wire is needed for the Hot Rod Therapy cruise control. I'm hoping the RPM signal will drive the tach. I think it sends pulses consistent with a 4 cylinder and as long as you set the tach for that, it will work. At least I hope so. The SN74Z interface box can do either speed or tach but not both. Don't even want to think about buying another one.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote