View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 04:09 AM   #198
joedoh

Re: Francis the Tow Pig - 1949 GMC 250 Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Well I finally got my tail in gear and fixed the PS pump. Nothing like waiting a month or so...haha.

Really needed to get the truck moving under its own power so I could rearrange some things in the shop. Replaced the pump with a reman and the newer style pulley with the windows. Then I put new brake pads on the front and bedded them in when I took it for a test drive.

I still don't think the brakes are "right". I can't get it to lock the tires when I perform a panic stop. I don't get any air feel to the pedal, and it's not puking fluid anywhere. It's a bit bizarre. I thought I wasn't getting enough pedal travel, but it appears to bottoming out before it runs out of travel.

Rethinking the change to the 3.23 gears from the 3.73s. The deep gears make for a rocket and it really isn't too bad on the 2 lane highways, just not interstate friendly.

I need to get a couple of 4x8 sheets of diamond plate aluminum ordered to do the bed floor, and really need to get it sealed and painted. Sure was nice to drive it again last night...my boys enjoyed the ride too.

s10 brakes can be a real bear to bleed, I took Hussey's advice and picked up a vacuum bleeder at cardboard freight and it works great on these, even still it can take forever to get the air out of an empty system. its not a common mistake and just throwing it out there, but make sure you have the right side of the master going to the front brakes, although getting it backwards would probably lock up the rears pretty awfully. just spitballing.

my 2500hd has a 4l80e and 3.73 gears, I turn about 2100 at 65. sounds busy, not a terrible thing though. I am running 265/70/16s though so a little taller.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote