View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #296
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I dusted rustoleum on a big patch on my last truck, looked right. your truck looks to have been painted somewhere in history, just find a color thats close and spot it in!
Yes sir it was definitely repainted at some point. The original paint is the forest green because I have found portions still that color when I took the body panels apart. I believe the respray was done with the truck together. Places like the flange between the front fender and cab are green and behind the fuse panel was green indicating to me that the truck was masked off and sprayed. That also means some of the bolts like the door hinge bolts where painted into place haha. I had to crack all those off when I took everything apart.

The white paint is really chalky and has a layer of mossy mildew stuff that was growing on it. I've considered just getting some 2000 grit and seeing if I could cut in can clean it up a bit. I've also considered fixing the rusted areas by sanding them down to clean metal and just using one of those rust converter/clear rattle cans. It turns the rust black around the edge and covers the clear metal.

I imagine the look would end up like this one...

Although a little rust with a clean interior may also be a nice compromise that doesn't require blowing the whole truck apart again. This one looks damn sexy with the color matched wheels and interior.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote