View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
BigRandy

Re: Grounding Problem

Okay.... I found a a new ground wire to add as a second but while waiting for it to arrive I picked up one of those twist type battery brushes and gave the posts and terminals a good scrubbing. Also buffed the alt and frame where the negative cables attach and so far it's been fine.

I know that all seems simple and should have been the first thing to check but to be honest they looked clean and there was no corrosion, and the neg cable to the alt bracket had a star washer and continuity was confirmed - just not the voltage drop. . It looked good but now I know for certain it is. One thing I failed to mention was the dielectric grease I put on the terminals. I may have gotten some on the inside of the terminals but if I did it wasn't obvious when I was cleaning them with the brush. If so then it's gone now.

Since the problem is or was intermittent I'm not convinced it's fixed so I am keeping a set of cables and a digital MM with me and will check the voltage drop if it happens again. Holding off on adding the second ground for now.

I appreciate the advice and help. Thanks.
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote