View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #879
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

After driving the truck for a few days, I'm starting to get more confident that it isn't going to let me down. I think I'm down to 3 main areas that I'd like to improve on.

I'd added shims to the front axle to give me more caster, and installed dual steering stabilizers. I didn't like having to steer back straight after making a turn so I removed one of the stabilizer shocks. It is "pretty" good now, but I'm wondering if 1 or 2 more degrees of caster wouldn't be better.

Truck still bounces me around like crazy on rough pavement. Most of my daily commute is rough pavement. I've called the manufacture of my lift springs and they confirmed I got the correct springs and shocks for my application and I've already double-checked that I didn't over-torque installing them. Open to suggestions on this one.

My SM465, 3:07 gearing, and 33" tires aren't quite working out. Just can't find the right gear in common situations like a right turn without a stop. Can't get down into second without slowing much more than necessary for the turn and making the turn in 3rd is lugging down pretty bad. I don't have a tach, but it doesn't seem that the truck wants to do over about 65MPH without feeling like its running too high RPMs.

I've got a pair of axles from a '76 Blazer with brand new 4:10 gears and limited slip diffs. I've got a 1992 NV4500 that's already been "gone through". I've also got the Advanced Adapters NP205 adapter and bell housing. I've been saving them for my '59 Apache ...BUT... my wife has decided that I'll be building that truck for her... SO looking at a change of direction on that project and I'd rather use the parts than sell them. I think I'm about 99% decided that Hazel will get more shop time before I commit to her being my daily driver.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote