View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #21
rockosocko

Re: New engine for 94 Silverado

How much does he want to spend?
From what I'm reading here, the price is going to be high.

I had my '95 2500/5spd, block crack not long ago and long story short, NEEDED a motor for my daily "quick".
All I had built up at the time is a '62 283 (forged .060 over), Comp xe268 cam with some self ported 062 Vortec heads, Ebay Vortec spread bore intake. TBI adapter and the rest of the accessories and Flow-tech afterburner headers modded to true dual exhaust, with 30+" glass packs
EVERYONE said it wouldn't work, but the only issue was it ran pig rich on idle. and got around 16-17 HWY mpg! and sounds MEAN! (3.42 14 bolt, 285 tires, so it's right at @2000rpms going 70. AND 6000lbs with me, and would've eaten the orig 350's lunch)
And all in for about $700-$900.00 and my time. (almost a week)

Brian from TBI-chips said that he would need the truck to work out the fuel maps and that in itself wouldn't be cost effective. (actually he wouldn't touch it) Thought about going with 4.3 V6 injectors/747 ECU but would rather have it rich than LEAN driving
So, I drove it for almost a year, changing the oil sooner because of fuel condition.
Now have installed a Rochester and a china HEI (just 'zip-tied' the wiring off to the side) and now it's leaner at idle but dropped to about 14mpg and now almost 1.5yrs. Waiting to get my CR-v running so I can install my '80 406 for it for a lot more torque. (swapping the top end parts)
The TBI years is a great platform to swap stuff into. Because it's CHEAP CHEAP, and parts are only a search on Craigs list or Pull-it away..
Heck, you could even do a Big Block Caddy and still use the TBI and your trans!!

BUT, where I am, I don't have to worry about Liberals forcing folks to purchase NEW just to pass emissions.

E

Last edited by rockosocko; 01-30-2018 at 01:27 PM.
rockosocko is offline   Reply With Quote