View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Ironangel

Re: Mind checking my pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplex2000 View Post
Thanks for all the input!

You're right I was a little zero off

You think the backlash is too tight? I keep seeing between 6-9 and 6-10 depending on where look, either way I figured this one being right in the middle would be cool. If not, I'm all about changing it now and not doing this again for sure.

On the pinion preload, I've seen varying numbers depending on where I look. Add to that the fact that I'm using the old bearing on one side and new bearing on the other side (maybe I should have put on both used bearings?) 10 seemed good. I suppose we'll know for sure if I were to press on the new pinion bearing and re-check the pattern?
I think your good to go. Anywhere from six to ten thousandths is good for backlash. The pinion preload should be good as well because your going with one used and one new bearing. If your confident that both pinion bearing races are firmly set, and that there was zero end play when you checked the preload at 10 in lbs, you should be good to go. The preload should increase when the carrier is installed because your reading the combined preloads of the carrier and the pinion. Yukon should have sent a small pamphlet outlining the order of assembly and procedure with their gear set. In the back of the pamphlet is a break-in procedure, do you still have that? Here's the break-in procedure... https://www.ringpinion.com/Technical...r_break-in.inc
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote