View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #16
StingRay

Re: LS3 or LQ4 complete swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwilson_1 View Post
That's what I was thinking. The lq4 seems to be popular but really how much better off would I be than keeping my carb'd 350?

The lq9 seemed like a nice upgrade for towing and overall power.

But I looove the sound of a modestly modded ls3.
That LQ4 is is only about half a point lower compression than the LQ9. The stated 322 HP is single exhaust with a stock intake and stock tune. When swapped with duals, better yet headers and duals and a good tune and that number goes up quite a bit. Drop in a cam and well above 400 is very common. The big deal with the 6.0 is availability, relatively low cost and potential. You drop a set of LS3/L92 heads on one and you get steak horse power at a hamburger price. I bought a set of LS3 heads for 200 bucks and an L92 Intake for another 100. I bought my parts truck and parted it. I kept the LQ4 and sold the rest. Purchased a 2WD 4L80E and am still quite a bit of money ahead. Like I have MORE money than I started with! A more than free engine and trans with about 70K on them. I've built more than a few SB Chev's in my time and have built my last one. The LS is strong, cheap, fuel efficient and will far outlast any of my old small blocks. I love old Chevy's too but they belong in collector cars and trucks not what most of us going to drive on a regular basis. LS is just modern day hot rodding.