View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
bcwilson_1

Re: LS3 or LQ4 complete swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
That LQ4 is is only about half a point lower compression than the LQ9. The stated 322 HP is single exhaust with a stock intake and stock tune. When swapped with duals, better yet headers and duals and a good tune and that number goes up quite a bit. Drop in a cam and well above 400 is very common. The big deal with the 6.0 is availability, relatively low cost and potential. You drop a set of LS3/L92 heads on one and you get steak horse power at a hamburger price. I bought a set of LS3 heads for 200 bucks and an L92 Intake for another 100. I bought my parts truck and parted it. I kept the LQ4 and sold the rest. Purchased a 2WD 4L80E and am still quite a bit of money ahead. Like I have MORE money than I started with! A more than free engine and trans with about 70K on them. I've built more than a few SB Chev's in my time and have built my last one. The LS is strong, cheap, fuel efficient and will far outlast any of my old small blocks. I love old Chevy's too but they belong in collector cars and trucks not what most of us going to drive on a regular basis. LS is just modern day hot rodding.
Awesome ya my goals really are to make this my daily driver to putz around town, be able to start in cold weather on the regular, fuel efficient enough to drive to the nearest Wally-World (180 mi round trip) and reliable for years. I'd rather not mess with having to part one together, as i don't have the time or the know-how. My plan is to find a used plug n play with no more than 80k mi and take it to the local hot rod shop and pay them to do everything quickly to get it back on the road. If someone with a 67-72 truck is on here that has completed an LS3/4L80E auto swap and has pics/costs could chime in that would be all I need to know how/when to move forward into the EFI C20 world.