View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Re: Buying an out of state truck vs moving to another state

That partial VIN is still a matching number. It is obvious because all the numbers that are on the frame "match" the ones on the cab in the same sequence. There will be no other frame with the same numbers and sequence, hence matching numbers.

States vary, so it matters in some states and not others. I think any state that does require titles will have you turn the title in and issue one for that state. They require an inspection to register a newly titled vehicle and that's it as long as you own it here in Maryland. And truck gets checked by the licensed state inspector who only looks at the VIN on the cab, first step. I've seen posts here by members in other states where it is an issue to do a cab swap, since they require matching frame and body and it is a Federal violation to change VIN-plates. I think NY is one such state. The only trucks I have ever checked for matching body and chassis numbers on are the ones I have done a frame-off on. But I have never bought a truck that wasn't original by all other means of verification. I have never bought a restored truck or one someone has had their hands all over.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-11-2018 at 01:18 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote