View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #672
special-K
Special Order

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
special-K, I noticed the wall is sheathed next to the existing building.

How did you guys pull that off?
That was the first idea of mine he liked. Bear in mind, this guy decided to get into this around 1990. He used to work on old cars, how I met him, and I did his carpentry work...some pretty fine finish work. His brother owns Vintage Lumber which he started in the '70s, one of the first of it's kind. So, My buddy's tastes are along the rustic, salvage...let's say creative side.

Ok, so we get the plates down and nailer blocks along the wall between the ribs in the metal one day. We're talking about the walls now, 12' 9" Code required 3' off floor/18" to ceiling/8' tank. He decided we'd do 8' sections. He's real anal and wanted the Tyvek on this wall, too. I'm wondering how all this will work and knew he hadn't even come to visualizing this yet. So I said why don't we roll the Tyvek across, tack that up, nail (we screwed it) the plywood up, then lay the wall up into it? The inspector will never know and we don't need to be concerned with rack strength because it's up against a solid structure. He liked that idea. It worked out well, especially since the anchor bolt location required the wall be held tight to the existing. The bolts barely caught the plate. I wasn't around for that.

He was hesitant to cut the overhang back and had us just cut a spot out for each end wall. So his plan was to "slip" the wall up under the fascia (24" O.H.) and slide it on in. Envisioning that is what got my mind to thinking of a better way. How can we do this without the sheathing? Went smooth as butter.

This whole thing was out of whack from the beginning... 13' x 37'. That other foot wouldn't have cost another dime I bet. And he talked to me about starting in June after I finished a sundeck job. Turns out the owner, big shot lawyer who plays GC, wanted to barge ahead w/o a permit. Huh? I mean this is for the fire suppression in the big building next store, obviously the system is part of that. Did he think the inspector would think the building was already there? I helped a friend build his daughter's house a couple years ago and this crazy rich head up their axx county put him through a 10 1/2 month process. I knew this would take a while anyway. And we started framing the week before Thanksgiving.

He called on a Thursday to tell me they had the permit, ready to start Monday, lumber could be delivered Friday but he couldn't be there, the next day would be later in the week. So I told him I would go receive it (not like I didn't already have a plan for next week). He says they told him 8am. On my way down to be there at 7:30 the driver calls me to tell me it's on the ground. We wanted it placed at the back corner of the cart house. It was in the upper corner of the parking lot hundreds of feet away. Scratched my head, turned tail for home, back with trailer, humped it on around to stack in a convenient location for a productive first day. Well, as productive as could be expected. I could tell a story with about every step of this. Example: Had us put a plate down over the bolts, which meant two base plates. I guess that wasn't a bad idea for getting that set straight and secure, then deal with the wall. But he had the other guy lay it out!
Wut is them marks fer? Ain't we gotta put dem marks on wut plate we bilds da wall wit anywho? This guy is not the projecting, delegating, managing type.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-12-2018 at 08:21 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote