View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
LH Lead-Foot

128K VSS 700r4 - drop in sensor $43

I am doing an LS swap into my 67 C10 using DBW and the TAC module for cruise control. Since my donor is a 2003, the have a PCM that requires a high frequency 128K A/C sine wave for the PCM VSS High and VSS Low...all I found was a pricy Dakota Digital for use in the 700r4 I have already built. I believe that one is for sale in classifieds. It uses a hall-effect to produce the A/C signal which requires power and a good ground. I did not want to run another wire for a fused power source.
The 128K VSS sensor I found, allows me to use the same connector and twisted pair, back to the PCM, from the donor vehicle. For $43 dollars for a two wire VSS sensor, off-set design, that will plug right into the tail-shaft housing of my 700r4. This sensor uses the same GM type PM generator to produce the A/C high frequency VSS signal. With a 40 tooth tone ring or reluctor on the output shaft, you get 40 A/C sine-wave signals per turn of the driveshaft and 128,000 per mile. Just like the 4L60e.
Performance Automotive Transmission Center (PATC) sell just what I needed. It is P/N 70 under the "Speedometer World" tab. Need a reluctor or tone ring, it's $13 and P/N 70X. They sell a "GM" type pigtail connector for this two sensor P/N 120 for $20 if you don't have one off the donor vehicle. They are listed under the "Speedometer World" selection on page 1 & 2. If you have a TH400, they sell a tone ring. Do you have a TH400 speedo drive hole you don't need, they sell a plug for that. They have most all of your sensor, drive and driven gear combinations for cable driven speedo stuff, plus a drive & driven gear calculator if needed after your wheel change or that ring & pinion.
They post a $3 S&H cost for orders under 1 lb. You can call 1-888-877-1008 to ask questions, set up an account or order. Just thought it was a good deal with quality looking products.

Link http://transmissioncenter.net

Why not use the 4L60e? Well, I built my trans already. I used the new 5 gear ACDelco pinions (Frt & RR), Sonnax pinless, hardened sun shell, internal lockup hydraulic spool valves, Red-Alto friction, wide band, new input drum, cryo-treated steels, 13 vane pump, hardened pump rings, shift kit, etc. It would probably handle 600 HP just fine, but I am running 320 HP, it should last a lifetime.
LH Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote