View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #36
special-K
Special Order

Re: Janesville Assembly’ To Be Demolished

Do you have any examples of any classics at all being traded in for $3,000 for a new vehicle during The Great Recession? Lots of '90s SUVs, mini-vans, and ho hum cars is all I know of. Mostly the ones that had gotten a little old to be desirable trade-ins to dealers, so either wouldn't be accepted or lucky to get $1,000 for it when you could sell for more. They were clunkers to people who drive new cars but they were newer than anything I was driving. Maybe I live in a shell, but I don't know of any cases where what I would consider a classic, or future classic to be junked, other than Suburbans and 4dr Tahoes. I daily drive a '95 Suburban these years later and people don't pay any attention to it or regard it as a classic. I feel like I'm in my own world digging on it. And there doesn't seen to be any shortage of them. I feel the program didn't hurt a thing and made it so we can be all excited about the 100th anniversary trucks, the Camaros, and that killer Vette coming out next year. I was deeply affected by that nasty recession along with the rest of the construction industry. I don't how many people were employed by GM at that time, but I was glad as hell to not be having all these people flooding a job market that was already in high distress and/or filing for various public assistance. No matter what you thought of the last president, this wasn't about special interest, it was about saving our automotive industry and umpteen hundred thousand jobs with his special interests as a side effect. The program discontinued, debts were repaid with interest, and we GM Truck guys still have our brand on the map.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote