View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
Mcmour67

Re: My first C-10 Build 67 SWB Stepside

I also had some time to work on my steering issues. Another very dangerous thing the PO hacked. Below is the shaft he rigged up.

I removed it and found that I could not save the steering column. The PO ground the splines off the shaft and notched it. If anyone has any use for this old column, let me know. I have no idea if it is a stock column, it may be a later model non-tilt.

I removed the old column and ordered a new tilt from Flaming River. It is a 32" paintable part# FR20006. It cost $392.89. I believe the stock columns are around 35" so I got a shorter one due to my steering shaft angle. I figured it would reduce the angle the closer to the firewall I went. I could have got a 30" but this will work. Here are some pics of it dry fit.

The steering column has a 1" DD shaft so I need a 1"DD to 3/4"DD Ujoint. A shaft will go from there to a 3/4"DD to 3/4"DD Ujoint. From there I will have another shaft with a heim joint going to a vibration dampening 3/4"DD to 3/4" 36 spline Ujoint to the steering box. That is about another $500 for all of that. So now its the save some money waiting game until the steering and brakes are complete.
Mcmour67 is offline   Reply With Quote