Thread: replace wiring?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: replace wiring?

AAW is good stuff-nothing absolutely black/white from them and Painless, etc. A new harness is definitely a good investment but just be sure ahead of time what mods you want to plan for. Awhile back (several years in fact) a local bodyshop owner had a “mechanic” install his AAW chassis harness on his 57 Nomad. Well, there were many detail things I didnt like about the crimping aspects as a harness builder myself and while the basic layout was nice, the kits do not cover various looming, retaining clips, fasteners, etc that make the job look complete-so the installer often is left with trying to figure out what to do.

Then there were circuit issues with the tri-five update kit which I had to address such as the power window and cooling fan mods. The kit provides 1 hot “for power windows” but obviously AAW has no way of knowing what people actually need-in my case that power lead feeds a relay bank and that relay bank operates a set of aftermarket window motors which I outfitted with my GM auto down/up kit. AAW has no actual power window/lock harnesses-just hot feeds for them-arg.

Then they have 1 damn relay out of the fuse panel for an “electric fan”....well that wont work either. That Nomad has a fairly wild 383 and tends to run a bitbwarm so I built an LT1 dual fan kit and controlled it with my 3-speed conversion harness kit-and it uses a total of 4 relays w/AC override so again theres is useless.

My point is before installing their harness make sure you cover ALL your bases on your truck-I ended up having to modify the AAW harness so much in different areas it would have almost been easier to assemble a new harness from scratch.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote