View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #16
Overdriven

Re: 72 Hood Mod Discussion

If it were me, fix one of the hoods and look for another cheapie to cut up. That way you have a stocker to call back on.

This kind of mod is something that mini truckers do to close the hood on their body dropped trucks. I think it can look good and I kind of like it on the dually above except for two things. First I don’t like how you can see the seam on the side. To get rid of it and make it one flowing curve you might need to narrow the 2nd hood you graft on the top. Depends on how the curves match up and if you’re willing to cut the sides free from the front of the hood. Second I think the front is too tall and should be lower compared to the back. Achieving this while getting the curve on the sides right (flowing without a seam) would not be easy without lots of cutting, welding and filler.

If you’re going to scrap one of the hoods I’d be tempted to make a cut on the sides and try raising just the rear however much you’d like. You can fill in the gap with foot long strips of metal until the gap is filled. This method is probably easier than grafting a huge section of hood onto another, even if you want to raise the front as well.

Last edited by Overdriven; 03-01-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote