View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #282
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Hey guys, been a little since I last updated so figure I'd catch you up. Here I'll show you what I did to the battery box. I knew the OE battery tray just wasn't going to cut it if I wanted to turn corners hard, and relocating on the step side is a PIA, so I built a battery box.

Over on my FB page, I had a little fun and tossed this pic up with the title "Picked up a new battery box. Universal fit. Some trimming/assembly required."
Name:  IMG_3090.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  83.0 KB

The plan was to simply drill out the spot welds on the sides of the battery tray, separate the tray and re-use the sides. The tray is pretty much shot from all the battery corrosion over the years. I then set out in the CAD world to do some basic design work to help me focus on the final design. I also wanted to build the box so that I could easily adapt to other batteries from my Optima Yellow Top, mainly a Braille 6034 or 2 Braille 2317. But for now, I've got a 10 year old yellow top and surprisingly it is still going. Here's the layout I came up with in CAD.
Name:  C10CJ_BatteryTray_Optima.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  21.1 KB

A bunch of time later, and here's the final product before paint. I did a slight mod on the top bracket but otherwise it matches the CAD minus all the lightening/looks holes.
Name:  IMG_3127.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  56.5 KB

Everything all painted up. I also painted the power feed panel even though it is aluminum.
Name:  IMG_3136.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  47.3 KB

Installed and ready to rock. Pretty sure the battery isn't going anywhere now. But keep in mind, with the way I setup the electrical, it will be very easy to relocate the battery in the future if I decide to fight that battle again.
Name:  IMG_3143.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  101.6 KB

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote