View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #21
1968_K20_4x4

Re: Dana 44 Front axle no oil?

Thanks for all the replies and great info guys. My plan all along had been to just keep this axle going for now, and pull it for a total rebuild (or swap?) when I got time. I knew there were some issues with it, but figured it would be ok in the short term. However when I pulled the cover and saw no oil at all and some rust starting to form, it got me worried and I know I need to do something about it pretty soon. Ive been planning a big trip with the truck in the spring, so I dont really want to have the truck out of commission until after my trip. Im hoping to be able to just repair it enough that it is ok to take on my trip, then tear it down once I get back. 4x4 is not required for this trip, but I just dont want to damage the axle any more than it already is.

Like Jeffahart said, there are so many things to consider. I have to decide if I want to rebuild the original axle or upgrade to something with disk brakes etc. Its a big decision, with so many things to consider, and I dont want to rush my choice. Also, as stated locating just the right axle may take a little time.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and info to help me make my decision.

Ohh uh, I didn't have time to fix everything...
1968_K20_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote