Thread: Started her up!
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #16
vancelot69

Re: Started her up!

I got out and started it again Tuesday afternoon to see if I could figure any more out on the noise. I used the stethoscope to listen to the clutch yoke and it was quiet, listened to the throwout bearing and it was quiet. So I listened to the lip of the oil pan by the rear main seal again and it had a slight noise as noted before, but I don't know if it was what I was looking for. So I tracked around the oil pan lip by the oil filter and had similar results. Then I touched the bottom of the oil pan (the sump area) and it had a clickey-clack noise that was loud AF. I touched the bottom of the oil pan towards the front, near the front main seal, and it was relatively quiet, but the fat part, where the oil pickup would be, was fricken loud. Not sure what it could be - rods crossed my mind, but I quickly dismissed that because they wouldn't be that low, otherwise the front part wouldn't be so shallow. Maybe the oil pickup is loose? Either way, it sounds like I need to drop the oil pan and check everything out in there.

Anyone got any other ideas? Of course, without hearing it in person, I would guess not.
2003 HD Road King
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote