View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #523
64RC20

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

And now it's crunch time!

I've got a mostly stock '64 C20, with its original front brakes and single chamber master cylinder. And way back in 1982, I had a great shop down in Los Angeles swap out my original 4.55/1 stock rear end to a '76 (if memory serves) C20 14 bolt rear end, and I had that upgraded to a 3.21 ring and pinion. (My 80 mile/day commute was killing me on gas and this swap jumped me up from 10.5ish mpg to 14.5ish mpg!). Hooray!

It's finally time for brakes again and I intend, at minimum, to split the front and rear brakes and convert to a dual chamber M/C. But converting to discs is something I never thought practical...until I found this forum. Now that I've read through every single post in this thread (all 21 pages worth!) plus several other related posts, I now know it is eminently doable. But one key point has eluded me. It's similar to MATERI1's question from a few posts back..

I am also not sure of what a 73-87 C20 front suspension swap will require with regard to my manual steering box, which I also want to keep. I have just found a '79 C20 donor truck where I can get the entire front suspension: crossmember, steering, brakes, etc, for $200 (haven't seen it yet, though). But I don't know whether my old pitman arm will bolt up to it. Or can I use the donor truck's pitman arm on my old manual steering box (not likely, per Captainfab...but mine's a '64 C20...is there hope!)? Or...can I bolt up a '79 C20 manual steering box without any modifications? (Autozone has them...sigh!)

Last edited by 64RC20; 03-22-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Just found related posts from a few days earlier.
64RC20 is offline   Reply With Quote