View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #12
mr48chev

Re: My 1956 Chevy Truck won't start

The guys pretty well have it down.

It takes compression, ignition and fuel for the engine to run and they all have to be there at the right time.

I'd go along with checking for spark, either from the cool wire (end that goes in the distributor cap) to metal or one of the spark plug wires. to metal on the engine. You should get a good spark here holding the metal end slightly off the block or head.

Since you ran the engine for several minutes with the choke on and then it stalled that would suggest you fouled the plugs in the process as several said. Too much fuel to the amount of air and finally the plugs foul. You might be able to clean them but most of the time it calls for new plugs.

As far as the fuel side, if the carb is flooded there is a good chance that a bit of fuel might show up on the shaft for the throttle plates. That might also indicate that the shaft or holes it goes through are worn a bit.

Fuel filter not all the way full of gas, I have seen that on my own rigs while they sit there and run and have never known why it happens. I think the air taking up that space allows the pump to push fuel through to the carb. Kind of like a pressure tank on a pump on a home water system. Even if the bladder leaks the air at the top will stay in place and let the liquid flow.

One thing that I want you to do and that is only make ONE change at a time while trouble shooting it. Do not make more than one change at a time. I've seen too many no start conditions where guys went down and bought a stack of parts at one time and changed them all and they still haven't cured the problem. You have to know what the problem actually is to fix it right.

Since the pump is pumping some fuel you can check that off. Later if the truck starves for fuel at speed it might be an issue.

In order I'd
Check for spark
No spark, find out why
Good spark
pull the plugs and check them. Do what you feel you need to do on them

If you run into an issue don't be afraid to ask. Most of us have been there done that on these rigs and a few of us have 40 or 50 years of experience at it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote