View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
Second Series

Re: My 1956 Chevy Truck won't start

I recently had a similar problem with my truck. I start it and let it run every few weeks. Awhile back it just would not start. I had fuel, so this is how I found the fault. I started with a test light connected between ground and the + on the coil, with key on the light was on. I then moved the light to the – on the coil, with key on the light was on. I placed the light in a position that was visible from inside the cab. I have a push button starter, I pushed the button and the light remained on, it should have flashed with the points making and breaking. I then disconnected the + wire on the coil and connected an Ohm-meter between coil – and ground, the reading was open, pushed the start button and the reading remained open, it should be switching open/short. I moved the Ohm-meter – lead to the ground terminal on the distributor, pushed the start button and the reading switched open/short, this shows the points are good. I then moved the Ohm-meter to ground and the ground terminal on the distributor, it read open. That special screw in the distributor was rusty, so I sprayed it with penetrating oil and let it soak for a few days. I used the tips of needle nose plyers to go in the two holes in the end of the screw and needle nose vice grips to turn the nut inside the distributor. The screw had to come all the way out to get the ring terminal off. I took fine sandpaper to the ground wire terminal and the screw, put it back together and it fired right up. I hope this helps.
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote