View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
davepl

Re: Watched a guru tune my carb yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post
Most, not all, of the fuel tuning you did with your engine being dyno'd, can now be done with the handheld from the EFI system.

I'm one of those that has moved away from carbs. Both my 67 Cutlass and my 70 GMC are running FiTech systems and I can honestly say I'm glad the carbs are gone. Driveability and performance has greatly improved with EFI.
I run the whole spectrum. I've got an LS3 that I tuned the factory ECM in my Camaro, and I've got a BS3 MPFI setup on a ZZ502, and I've hacked a good deal on my BMW factory setup. But I still have a few carbureted units!

Properly set up the Q-Jet is so good it's hard to tell from EFI. Bust most people have never had the pleasure of driving a correctly calibrated, stock setup. And if they did it was often from the late 70s and early 80s when emissions were taking their toll.

But I had a stock Q-Jet on a 350/300 small block and it would start and run like EFI. Even cold starts in Canada were great. But they've got to be calibrated to the application, lest they unfairly become "Quadrajunks".

As soon as I can find a compatible tank I like I'm going to convert my other ZZ502 over to port injection, likely the Holley Sniper I'm thinking.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote