View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
Jeepwm69

Re: Oil Life Monitor System

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountie View Post
In the link, it says," What if my oil has gone 6,000 miles, the light doesn't turn on, & still looks ok, or is looking dark...."
Response, " ..."Different driving conditions will change required oil change.." (( paraphrased ))

THAT IS NUTS....... The GM "monitor" can not compute the chemical makeup in the used oil. OR THE FILTER CONDITION. Oil will break down & dilute, even if it's not dark "looking".

3,000 to 5,000 miles.... change it. And filter too.
I learned this from one of the best record-holder engine tuners in the country. ( He sends oil to a lab for testing)

I would never put total trust in an idiot light or an algorithm.

But, after my opinion...... I didn't know a truck as old as mine would have one.

Yep.

My sister started using the "Oil life %" meter when her new 2010 Accord came with one, ignoring me telling her to change the oil every 5K.

Following that meter she's been doing oil changes probably between 8-10K miles.

Her Accord with only 80K on it now burns oil to the point where the last time it went in for an oil change only a couple of quarts drained out. Her response? "But the oil life meter said I still had 30% oil life!"

Meanwhile our other 5 Hondas don't use a drop of oil. They're religiously changed every 5K miles.

Change your oil at least every 5K miles. Cheap, easy, and worth it.

The GMC's get changed about every 2500-3K. They're mostly driven around town though.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote