View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
darrellyates

Re: Vehicle Lift. 2 or 4 post ? ? ? ?

Sorry for the long view.... I actually took that with my Nikon and am surprised that it turned sideways... Or I think I did, it's an old shot and I can't remember.

Yes, I used 2 2x6 boards across the ramps, and then you can use a chain, a hoist, or tie-down straps that I use on the car hauler (what I used). Picks the 1973 Camaro up real nice, and allowed me to bolt it to the rotisserie very nicely.

Same cross member, and a chain allowed me to install the 6.2 and transmission into my C10. Also held up the frame for work on the rear differential; and the taller lift even allowed me to lift the cab (by the roof) to install it on the frame. Of course, the frame of my truck is a lot lower than stock, so I am sure that helps.

I prefer the 4 post. Nothing wrong with a 2 post, just feel safer with a 4 post. Very hard for the car/truck to drop thru the ramps on a 4-post. I do have a couple of sliding jacks, and doing suspension and tire work is very easy.

Last note, the installation professionals I talked to advised me against bolting them to the floor. I was concerned about them buckling. My concern was that if somebody bumped it when parking, it would collapse. They said the only ones they had ever seen that collapsed were bolted to the floor. They said if you bump one and it's NOT bolted down, it just slides. The ones bolted to the floor have a tendency to buckle, so mine are NOT bolted to the floor.

I've been very pleased with them. Understand mine are used more for storage than repairs, but have been versatile for either use.

Thanks for "straightening" me out....
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote