View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #26
In The Ten Ring

Re: Driverless cars win again.

I was driving my mother's car, giving my father a ride since he hates to drive that thing.....we were in a parking lot going maybe 10 mph and BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! with a flashing light reflecting off the windshield.

Dad exclaimed: "WHAT WAS THAT?" I calmly answered, "this car continuously sends a RADAR signal out in front of it and if the car is going over a certain speed and gets too close to an object, that alarm goes off."

What had it detected? A gentle rise in the pavement.

I said to dad "now imagine it had the ability to stop the car. It would have locked up the brakes on us in an empty parking lot because of an incline so gentle we could push the car over it from a dead stop."

Later, on the way home, I came up on a truck going a bit slow and smoothly passed it. There have been at least three high profile cases of "self driving cars" killing the driver, a pedestrian, or like the link above, ramming a stopped truck. The company says "well the driver must remain alert at all times." If that is the case, WHAT IS THE POINT OF A DRIVERLESS CAR?" Just wait until a judge, despite the small print of the purchase agreement, awards the victim's family 1 trillion in damages.

I think the desire for driverless cars is fueled by the inability of the cell phone addict to look up at the road anymore.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote