View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #40
HULK64

Re: Project Eugene: 1949 5 Window (Part 2)

Well boys- I have been HARD after it because they put grandpa into hospice, but the good news is that it all paid off yesterday. Here's where we have been since I last checked in...

THE JEEP FINALLY SOLD. To a local guy even, which freed up the funds to start buying all of the last pieces we needed.

My LS master buddies said I should NOT have plugged the steam port, so let's take the top off again and unplug and reroute it shall we...

The first time I put it in gear to pull it out of the shop....nothing.
I grenaded the trans pump the first time I started it- didn't have it in the third click. Dammit. So, trans out- new pump.

Once that was fixed and it could move, I bought a four post lift from Wildfire lifts. The coolest part is that I can roll it around the shop. AMAZING. How have I worked this long without a lift?

Once it moved we could also see that the oil pan was absolutely going to be the first thing to touch the ground at full air down, so we had to replace it with an F body pan. In order to get the old one out we had to disconnect, well everything, and lift the motor up 2" to clear the crossmember. Sigh...but little one was up to the task and we got it done.

All better

About that time I realized I hadn't put any flex points in my exhaust, so let's pull that out and add those while we are at it...

The next amazing part was hiring a local legend in the pinstriping game- Cliff Anderson- to come and lay some stripes. Boy, am I glad I didn't try and do that myself like I was originally planning to do...

And the best one of all...to see him knock this all out freehand was out of control.

It was about this time that I got news that my Detroit Steel wheels were delayed again, so in order to get it to carpet and alignment I needed some loaners. Not bad for a set of loaners! It's too bad bias ply tires ride so terrible, cuz they sure do look cool...

The first time in the sun. Glorious...

BUt short lived....the rear end felt "weird" when I aired it back and when I investigated I found this.

The frame fawkin twisting where the bags mount. Ugh.
Take the rear suspension apart, box the frame. Good grief.

At this point I think, WE MADE IT! And bring it to get aligned, and to get carpet.

Even ran a quick errand on my way home.

Well, I must have jinxed it. Elec fan wouldn't turn on and it started stinking like diff grease REAL bad. Rear axle seal let go completely- separated the rubber from the metal of the seal. Gave the tire and inner fender a nice grease bath. So, let's take the rear end apart and put in new seals, shall we?

The guys at the parts store just give me my own computer now and let me find my own stuff- it's awesome.

We had to figure out the electric fan as well- but once that was done, we put the seat belts in- from Julianos. They look awesome! Being able to install on a lift didn't suck either.

So I drove it to my buddies house and he caught this pic of me pulling in and laying it on the ground. I believe the term here is "**** eating grin."

Well, all of that drama- and basically the last three years of building led up to yesterday. Man, what a moment. I'm still kind of in shock that it happened and that we got to share it together before he went home to see Jesus.

The Payoff:

He saw his name on the dash and said, "Well, isn't that something." It was suddenly VERY dusty.

We cruised for a bit, and when I stomped on it he said, "Man, this thing is a rocket!" Haha

It was a helluva day.

So my Detroit Steel 20" artillery wheels should be here Tuesday. They will get painted cream, and get a pinstripe or two as well. Once that's done some radials are next on the list. At that points I plan to just drive the wheels off it. Thanks for following along fellas!
HULK64 is offline   Reply With Quote