View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
kwmech

Re: Cummins to sm465 in k10?

Most people go after the cool factor before they think things out. The 6bt as it sits does not fit into the compartment of a 67-72 without cutting the firewall and a modification to the core support. Modifying the suspension with heavier springs. Boxing the frame helps A LOT. 1 Ton axles are just about mandatory. Gearing is a huge factor as the diesels are happy between 1800-2000 rpm. Of course nobody wants a stock 6bt, gotta turn that muther up with new nozzles and a modified pump. Why do you think Dodge finally went with a Dana 80 rear. All the Fords came with a Dana 60 front with the diesel option, as well as Dodge. Brakes!, cannot really use the vacuum booster anymore, hafta put in a hydro boost system if you really want it to stop.

Edit..forgot about the tires. Your 35'' tires may not make the grade depending on the side walls. All of the factory trucks require an 8 or 10 ply tire so the torque of the diesel doesn't shred the side walls. Years ago I had a tire store next to my old shop. They mistakenly installed a set of 6 plys on a Dodge diesel truck. 2weeks later they were changing them out under warranty for some 10 plys. I didn't get the whole story, but I understand the truck was pretty squirrely to drive when towing a trailer

Last edited by kwmech; 05-22-2018 at 11:23 AM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote