View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 12:39 AM   #6777
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
That came out looking sharp!!! Good work and thanks for posting the applicator information.
I deleted my old post, because some of the info. was worthless. I finished the pan three hours ago. It hasn't quite settled yet, and will improve in appearance. That takes about 5-6 hours here. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it, this POR-15 is nice stuff.

In the past I've used a lot of brushes, but primarily just wood and drywall This is different animal and warrants more detail. First time I've done anything like this, and here's what I learned:

1. The applicator must remain wet. That's true for all paint, but it's worth mentioning here. If you run dry using this stuff you'll see it. Has to be nice even strokes of paint...................However,

2. If it's too thick this stuff will run on you. It's self-leveling to some extent, and why I have to sand my timing chain cover, which I did first

3. Gravity. Other than the real tight areas using a tiny brush, my last coat was from the top down.

4. Move fast. Somewhere there's a happy place between doing a good job and speed, especially for something with as much real estate as this pan. A gun would do a better job on large parts, but you can't go wrong either way. Nice coat.

5. This stuff doesn't spread well with a large foam applicator. Too slow as well. The second coat on this pan was done with a foam applicator, and it looked like crap. The first and last coat were done with brushes. I used a small round brush for the tight places, a 3/4"ish square brush for bottoms and depressions, and a good 2" brush. That square brush is the bomb for this work. I picked it up yesterday, and have a new favorite brush. Not a blemish.

6. Use a small foam applicator on the flat areas on small parts. Before the pan I hit the timing chain cover using a 1" foam brush. It looks like it was sprayed. But I have to sand it as mentioned. Next time I take my favorite brush to the depressions.

7. I may be off base, but I went light on the first coat and pretty heavy coat the last. Seems right. Oh yeah, LOTS and LOTS OF LIGHT. I didn't have sufficient lighting until the last coat.........Whoops.

EDIT: My pan doesn't look anything like this anymore, I stripped it ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!. Lesson learned, I should have sprayed it, though I've since improved with a brush. My buddy "Grease" is making the valve covers pretty anyhow, so he'll hit the pan as well. Dude is the best in the area, simple task. He MIGHT, I say MIGHT end up painting the truck. Haven't heard back from the other guy in a while. He's doing it as a side job, trying to justify his shop Ha!. Nice competent guy, but he may be losing interest. Grease is probably another 6-8K. Truck is a MONEY PIT man, but someday she fires up.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-08-2018 at 09:33 PM.