View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: How can I turn the crank and cam so the timing marks line up right?

Some GREAT information here, thank you, I have a much clearer picture. At the moment I'm stumped at the intermediate shaft clearance, but I haven't tried putting one in yet, so pending.

I purchased a replacement pump and screen, and an intermediate shaft with the steel coupler as opposed plastic. I'm working on a 402. Not a single instruction with the parts outside using a spring for a HP Corvette. The pump included a small rolling pin as well, which has something to do with the spring. I received this information from Melling.

You will want to check and make sure that there is some end play in the I-Shaft when it is installed. The I-Shaft is not adjustable, I only tell you to check that because something that old may have had the heads or block surfaced.

No need to take the pump apart they are tested before they are shipped.

You do want to oil the inside of the pump, pour oil in the hole that the pickup tube goes into while spinning the pump drive you can also put the pump in a tube of oil and spin the pump drive until it pushes oil out the top.

Mounting bolt torque is 66 foot pounds.

There are no additional parts needed to assemble the pump, make sure you pan to screen clearance is correct, we have a video on our website explaining how to do this.
In other terms, for a 402 anyway, the only parts required are the pump, screen, shaft and a bolt. That's assuming you're not using a plastic coupler (aka collar).

On a side, sure a lot of variances in methods to install a pump (youtube). I wouldn't have guessed.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-30-2018 at 10:51 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote