View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
StingRay

Re: panel adhesive in colder weather ?

Plain and simple it's never to be risked on structure that has any safety implications. Go ahead and glue rockers or fender patches on our trucks. Brian I've followed your work here over the years and you are a master of your trade but when it comes to adhesives they are not the end all and be all of body repair. They have their applications. I have personally experienced the corrosion failure of quality adhesives that were meticulously applied. I've seen the same professionally. While on the manufacturing side the problems are not extensive when they do happen they are expensive. We never use them in an application that will hold a seat or a seat belt. Moisture infiltration is often involved when there is a failure and starts from a tiny spot.

Over the years I've been involved with epoxies, urethanes both single component moisture cure and two part and methacrylates. Bonds have been steel to steel, fiberglass to steel and other fiberglass, wood to steel and also fiberglass and in the mix I've seen some other plastics and rubbers.

For an engineered application where strict guidelines are followed the correct adhesive is the proper repair. The amount of adhesive, application pattern,type of panel either whole or partial, panel location, squish out, joint spacing (thickness of adhesive), type of adhesive, cleanliness, Cleaners, flash times, temperatures, cure times, surface finish, substrate material, humidity and order of operations are all significant factors depening on the particular adhesive. Any can become an issue in a joint failure.

A trained tech applying these as per manufacturers specs (both the vehicle and the product) with everything done exactly right and you will have a quality repair. Here we are talking about owner invented non engineered applications that will some day go down the road to another owner.

Yup a weld can be screwed up too but in my opinion it's a lot more forgiving and in this case is the actual repair specification.

Take a read through the factory assembly manual for the 67-72 trucks. The number of spot welds and placement is pretty carefully documented. Even then there was a plan and it's prudent to follow it even today. Personally I've never heard of this generation of truck being a death trap. Best to keep them the way they were designed as it worked well.