View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

One more thing I forgot to mention this morning. I found an answer to the airbag module in the middle of the steering wheel.

When I bought the donor Dodge, the airbag came "pre-deployed" after the previous owner hit a cow in the road. I really wasn't concerned as there wasn't enough damage to the front of the truck to suggest frame issues and I don't plan to put the SRS system back in to operation. I wasn't planning on using the Dodge steering column, yet here we are. While I don't "like" the look of the Dodge steering wheel, it gives me the horn buttons and cruise control, so I am willing to live with it on a certain level. I figured I would pickup an airbag module out of a junker, just to fill the ugly hole where the deployed airbag used to be. I didn't exactly want "DODGE" displayed in the middle of my Chevy cab, even if I am using the Dodge running gear. If I had to, I'd find a way to live with it.

Last night while cleaning up from the sweat and rust I accumulated while making the cooler brackets, I had a realization. I could get a vinyl repair kit and use it to fill in the Dodge letters on the new airbag cover and just leave it blank. This led to another thought that I could make a bowtie stamp, essentially a branding iron, and emboss a Chevy bowtie in the center of the new airbag cover after I filled in the Dodge letters. Branding iron took me to a whole 'nother level...Why not just have a dummy airbag cover made in leather? I know a guy that does just about anything in leather. A puffy rectangle would present little challenge. This would let me keep the horn and cruise control buttons and be a custom touch that would be one of a kind. Then I went back to the branding iron and had a few thoughts of what could go in the center instead of Dodge. I came up with an idea that I am keeping to myself until it is done, just because I don't want to see someone else to it first.

Yep. You are all going to have to wait for the finished product on this one. Not to be a tease or build up scripted drama. I'm just really proud of the airbag solution and I know the execution will be unique and worthwhile.

-Joe